Mohamed Atta was born in Egypt on September 1, 1968. He was also known to use the names Mohamed Mohamed el-Amir Awad al-Sayed Atta, Mohamed el-Amir, Mohamed el-Sayed and others. Atta is suspected to be the leader in the US of the 9/11 plot, and the pilot who flew American Airlines Flight 11 into the World Trade Centre.
- Trained by the US military?
- Identified as an al Qaeda member by the Able Danger project in 2000?
- Received $100,000 on orders of the chief of Pakistan's ISI?
- Used drugs, drank alcohol, went to strip clubs?
- Was a regular visitor to Jack Abramoff's casinos?
- Not on the 9/11 passenger manifest?
- Still alive?
- Luggage left behind was "too convenient", a set up to ensure the hijackers were identified?
- Recovered passport must have been planted at the WTC?
Photos, Video, Audio
- FBI interviews relating to Colgan Air (mostly the US Airways flight that Atta and al-Omari took immediately prior to boarding Flight 11)
- 9/11 Commission memo re: Atta's luggage
- 166-page file on hijacker visa applications, with a particular focus on Mohamed Atta
- INS summary on Mohamed Atta
- Immigration inspector interviews re: Atta arrivals on 6-3-00, 1-10-01, 5-2-01, 7-19-01
- "A Review of the INS's Admissions of Mohamed Atta and Marwan Alshehhi, its Processing of their Change of Status Applications, and its Efforts to Track Foreign Students in the United States"
- Airman files (pilot-related documentation)
You'll find an initial Atta timeline here.
Links and Related
Where can I read mainstream media reports on Atta?
- This New York Times page is an index to many stories on Atta, the other hijackers and 9/11 in general
- Time magazine discuss Atta's background in "Atta's Odyssey"
- "A Mission to Die For" 'follows the life of Mohamed Atta, from the beginning in Egypt to the end in New York'
- A Washington Post article provides more background to the Hamburg Cell and the beginnings of the 9/11 plot
- Interviews with those who knew Atta in Germany include talk of his anti-Semitism
Where can I find information challenging that mainstream media account?
- History Commons have a timeline and various articles
- Daniel Hopsicker says Atta was a hard drinking party animal involved in drug smuggling
- Team8Plus "Tracking the alleged hijackers and their doubles"
Which other sites might be of interest?